Investing time and money in your garden, only to cat poo in the soil or partly buried is frustrating. Below we have compiled the top techniques on “How to stop cats from pooing in your garden”.
stop cats Pooping in your Garden
We must stress that we want to make deterring a cat from your garden as humanly as possible. After all, the cat doesn’t know it’s your garden, and in the UK Cats are protected by law and are free to roam
The first step is to remove the cat’s territory and scent by removing the cat’s poo safely as soon as possible. Because cats are drawn to their scent removing the source will help deter them from future visits.
- Cats have a strong sense of smell, so using plants that give off a scent they dislike will make it less it is inviting for them. We suggest the “Scaredy Cat” plant also known as coleus canina, lavender or rue.
- Citrus fruits also give off an odor that is unpleasant to cats. So Laying fresh peelings around the area frequently will help deter cats from pooing there.
- Make the garden as unfriendly and unfavorable to the cat as possible. In any loose soil areas, try and plant something spiky in. Such as thawed roses etc.
- You can also put down chicken wire around the area where the cat likes to defecate. Cats have sensitive paws and will not like walking on a Chicken wire and will look elsewhere. The goal is to make it uncomfortable for the cat and not injure them. So, we would advise against the use of barb wire and nails that could potentially injure the cat.
Keep it clean
- Ensure the area the cat poos in is clutter-free and tidy. Cleaning the area can again remove the cats sent making it less instinctual for them to revisit “their” area.
Cat Poo Law in the UK
There is currently no law in the UK that takes action against cat owners and where that cat to toilet. In the UK Cats are allowed to roam without any restrictions. However, you can report the problem to your local environmental health authority, however, this really will not resolve your issue.
Products to stop cats
So far we have listed natural ways to stop cats from pooing in your garden. We have listed gadgets that will stop cats pooing in your garden from high-frequency sound We have included some gadgets that you could alternatively try below. Rember cats are persistent and territorial so you will have to be just that bit more consistent and persistent to ensure you deter them from spaces they are unwanted.
Please note, Children and pregnant women should avoid areas where there is cat poo because cat poo is highly toxic carrying parasites and unpleasant bacteria. Toxoplasmosis is a common infection that you can catch from the poo of infected cats. Always take great care when removing cat poo, and ensure you were gloves to avoid possible toxoplasmosis contamination. Ensure it’s bagged securely and binned.
In conclusion to this topic, you have to outsmart the cat. You also have to be more consistent to stop the cat from recognising your garden as a litter tray. Have you tried any of these techniques or have any techniques of your own to stop cats pooping in your garden? Cats like routine and are often territorial, therefore they often are persistent and come back to the same area. Make the garden as unfriendly to the cat as possible and the cat should hopefully find somewhere else to poo.
1. BLACK METAL GARDEN CAT
Are CATS, FOXES and SQUIRRELS constantly raiding your garden and messing up your vegetables and flower beds?
Fully weatherproof, it stays out there all year and in all conditions to deter unwanted visitors away from your GARDEN and FISH PONDS.
The Scare Cat is a realistic feline shape with reflective glass eyes on a painted black metal body.
Simple inexpensive and EFFECTIVE.
2. Pestbye Cat scarer
Frequency makes it uncomfortable for cats
Motion sensor covers 80 degree arc, to a distance of up to 23ft (7m)
Total unobstructed working area of 184sq ft stops cats fouling your garden
This cat repeller is the quickest fix for cats in the front and back garden
Fully waterproof repellent, they can be left out in any weather
3. Pestbye® Jet Spray Battery
The ultrasonic animal repellers can sometimes affect pets such as rabbits or guinea pigs, so with this water spray repeller you can still deter the pests in your garden without having an impact on your own animals.
4. Get Off My Garden Repellent
GET OFF My Garden jelly-like crystals are effective in all weather conditions, slowly releasing a strong, highly scented odour which confuses both cats’ and dogs sense of smell. Over a period of weeks, they will be trained to move away from the treated areas to those where they can detect evidence of previous fouling odours. Get Off My Garden Crystals are approved for use on concrete, paving and around lawns and plant beds when used as directed. This bottle should treat 71 square meters. NB This sale for two bottles as shown, each bottle is 640g.
5. Defenders Cat and Dog Scatter Granules
Biodegradable deterrent granules coated with an effective natural active ingredient to humanely repel cats and dogs from gardens
Easy-use shaker cap for effortless distribution of cat deterrent granules for gardens
Treats up to 150 sq m of outdoor, garden areas including patios, lawns, flower beds and seed beds
Helps prevents cats and dogs from digging, scratching and fouling in outdoor, patio and garden areas
Welfare-friendly cat and dog repellent to rid outdoor areas of garden pests